This golden hued oil also known as Moroccan oil has been used for centuries for healing and beauty. Due to its rich combination of vitamin E, anti-oxidants and fatty acids, pure argan oil effectively restores skin elasticity, combats wrinkles and moisturizes skin well. It also fights hair damage, nourishes the scalp and improves hair growth.
This prized anti-aging ingredient, argan oil is made from the kernels of argan trees native to Morocco, and appears in most beauty products right from hair serums, soaps to other cosmetics.
Here are a few beauty benefits of Argan oil that you should know.
What is argan oil and why you should use it
Argan oil is derived from argan trees, which is a thorny, thick tree that is native to southwestern Morocco. This oil is extracted from the tree’s fruit that is a nut surrounded by a hard shell. These nuts contain between 1 and 3 oil-rich argan kernels that are then extracted by cracking and roasting to produce what we know as nutrient-rich argan oil. This oil itself can be found in its pure form and because of its benefits, it can be applied topically to the skin and hair to nourish and hydrate.
To start, the oil is packed with antioxidants and tocopherol aka vitamin E, has regenerative properties and offers so much more!
- Vitamin E : Keeps your skin healthy owing to its powerful anti-inflammatory properties that helps prevent and reduce stretch marks and scarring. It is also known for combatting skin damage from the sun, any injury, irritation or aging.
- Polyphenols– a plant-based compound acts as a great antioxidant to help prevent damage to skin caused by free radicals. It also promotes healing of skin and protects both it as well as your hair from UV damage. What’s even great about this anti-inflammatory agent is that it makes for the perfect teammate for tocopherols and may also aid in reducing hair loss!
- Fatty Acids: Helps produce the skin’s natural oil barrier, to keep it looking hydrated and plump. Argan oil contains vital omega-6 fatty acid – linoleic acid that protects against sun damage, soothes and heals acne too. It also contains moisturizing oleic acid that replenishes dry skin and hair.
- Squalene: Forms a part of the natural secretion sebum from our oil glands. It helps hydrate and lock in the moisture of our skin while also fighting free-radical damage.
While we’ve read about the hero ingredients that make Argan Oil a must-try, let’s talk about how beneficial this oil is for skin and hair!
Argan oil for skin
Argan oil has proven to become such a huge phenomenon in the beauty world. So, when asked about how beneficial it is for skin, well we’re here to tell you – A LOT!
This oil contains two key unsaturated fatty acids i.e oleic and linoleic acid. While oleic acid helps other active ingredients penetrate better into the skin, linoleic acid, on the other hand, helps increase skin moisture and minimize inflammation. The skin-loving benefits of argan oil don’t stop here.
- Great moisturizer – If you’re one of those suffering from dry skin, argan oil may be the natural moisturizer of your dreams. Apply a few drops over your legs, arms and knees to get that glow. Moreover, this oil is also a great skin protector as it acts as an effective skin barrier to harsh elements that affect your skin.
- Boasts of anti-aging properties – Apart from being a great moisturizer, argan oil also provides great anti-aging benefits as well. It helps reduce the appearance of lines and wrinkles, plumps skin, makes small imperfections disappear, boosts skin elasticity, prevents and reduces stretch marks with its amazing skin regeneration and repair qualities too.
- Heals skin irritations – This nourishing oil is super good to use for any treatment for rashes, sunburns and other annoying skin irritations. Even something as small as a razor burn or ingrown hair can be taken care of by applying some argan oil over it. It acts as a fantastic shield and keeps bumps at bay effectively.
- Good for lip care – When applying argan oil to your skin, don’t forget your lips! All the benefits your skin gets from the oil apply to your lips as well. Applying a drop of this vitamin E rich natural oil daily will make sure your kisser is healthy and will reduce creasing around your lips.
- Useful for acne – When it comes to acne, argan oil helps fight against and/or reduce acne scarring by promoting natural skin regeneration, hydration and elasticity. It soothes and reduces inflammation that comes along with acne breakouts. Additionally, it helps control sebum production, which further helps to reduce clogged pores. And with the infusion of vitamin E in the oil, it also helps promote natural skin repair that heals damaged skin.
Argan oil for hair
Depending on what your needs are, there are a number of beneficial factors for hair that the goodness argan oil provides.
- Conditions & nourishes – We’re sure you know of hair products that include this nourishing oil, but applying argan oil directly to your damaged locks works wonders. It conditions, protects against heat & sun damage and also adds shine. Just mist a small amount on damp hair then run your fingers through your hair. Moreover, this amazing oil can also soothe the most frazzled of dry ends, tame curls and improve split ends.
- Hair styling – Don’t we all just love experimenting with varied hair styling products even though they tend to cause harm to our beautiful locks. Argan oil as an ingredient in heat protection products is super nourishing and conditioning for the hair and makes varied styling methods easier.
- Ideal scalp treatment – Argan oil when used on the scalp helps moisturize the skin and reduce dandruff and irritations. Owing to being rich in antioxidants, it’s super effective for scalp treatments, and helps reduce scalp inflammation that leads to dandruff, itchiness and other such issues. Try using it as a hair mask by blending it with some coconut oil and let it sit for around 15 to 30 minutes. The result – nourished, super shiny and silky hair.
- Cares for coloured hair – If you have coloured hair, argan oil should be your go-to. It is proven to help maintain pigments, prevent dryness to the colour formula and also helps provide moisture that the colour chemicals usually strip away.
Use pure argan oil to take care of your hands and nails
We’re sure you are familiar with frequent washing and nail polish changes. All of this and much more can take a toll on your nails and hands. Thanks to argan oil, you can instantly soothe dry hands or cuticles. Rubbing a few drops of argan oil onto your hands before heading to bed will have them feeling baby soft the next morning. Moreover, this oil also can also be applied on brittle, cracked nails, since its vitamins and fatty acids help soothe the nail bed, encourage growth in terms of length and reduce cracking. Long nails FTW! It is THE perfect nail strengthener that’ll save your pretty nails from all the harsh treatments that you put it through.
Let's wrap it up!
Now that you’ve read everything there is to know about this amazing natural oil, it’s time to decide if this is the ingredient for you. And before you ask, yes, this oil is suitable for all skin types owing to its mid weight formula that is not too heavy on the skin and is easily absorbed. It is considered non-comedogenic, doesn’t clog pores, is rich in antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties and can benefit all skin types. So, whether you have acne, dry skin, inflammation or general signs of aging, this oil has got you covered!
Do note, when purchasing argan oil, choose a bottle with just one high quality ingredient, which is 100% pure argan oil.